1. What size or capacity system do I need to properly cool my home? How do you determine the size of the air conditioning unit needed? Learn about the calculation that professionals should use to determine the size you need, called the Manual J Load Calculation.
2. Can the current installed ductwork be used (if any) and what is the condition of the existing ductwork? Are there leaks? Should the ductwork be cleaned during the install?
3. Can you provide proof that your company is bonded and insured? Will you provide your estimate in writing, with all of the terms and conditions we discuss?
4. Are there new technologies I should consider, like a ductless system, or upgraded accessories to add, like digital / remote-operated thermostats? Learn about air conditioning options for homes with a boiler system (no ductwork).
5. Is the new system energy efficient? What is the SEER rating? Can I expect a decrease in my utility bills?
6. What brands do you offer, and why do you prefer those brands?
7. Are there any rebates or tax credits available for installing a new system?
8. Do you handle all of the necessary permits and approvals with the local authorities?
9. What are the payment terms? Does your company or the manufacturer offer financing?
10. What kind of guarantee does your company make on the installation? What is the guarantee on the unit? Is a service contract included or available?
11. What is the timetable for the installation, from start to finish? Do you haul away the old unit (if any), and is that included in your fee? Is clean-up included and will the work area (ductwork, walls, flooring) be finished as they were before the work commenced?